VLC media player is a portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, OGG, …) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
It supports an extensive range of formats without the need for additional codecs.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
- Support for input media: UDP/RTP Unicast and Multicast, HTTP / FTP, MMS, File, DVD, VCD, SVCD, DVB, MPEG encoder, Video acquisition (V4L).
- Input formats: MPEG, ID3 tags, AVI, ASF / WMV / WMA, MP4 / MOV / 3GP, OGG / OGM / Annodex, Matroska, WAV (including DTS), Raw Audio: DTS, AAC, AC3/A52, Raw DV, FLAC, FLV (Flash).
- Support for Blu-ray discs.
- Fast decoding on multi-core, GPU and mobile hardware.
- Opens professiona, HD, and 10bits codecs.
- Decoders: MPEG-1/2, DIVX, MPEG-4, XviD, 3ivX, H.264, Sorenson 1/3 (Quicktime), DV, Cinepak, Theora, H.263 / H.263i, MJPEG, WMV 1/2, WMV 3 WMV-9 / VC-1, Indeo Video v 3-5, Rado Video.
- Subtitles: DVD, SVCD / CVD, DVB, OGM, Matroska, Text files, Vobsub.
- Filters: Deinterlace, cropping, image wall, image adjust, rotate/mirror, logo overlay, magnification, image distortion, bluescreen, RSS/Aton feeds.
- Outputs: Native, X11, XVideo, SDL, Framebuffer, ASCII Art.Audio
- Decoders: MPEG Layer 1/2, MP3, AC3 – A/52, DTS, LPCM, AAC, Vorbis, WMA 1/2, WMA 3, ADPCM, DV Audio, FLAC, QDM2/QDMC (Quicktime), MACE, Real Audio, Speex.
- Filters: Visualization effects, equalizer.
- Outputs: Native (OSS, ALSA), S/PDIF (OSS, ALSA), Multi-channel (OSS, ALSA), SDL, ESD, aRts, JACK.
- UDP Unicast / Multicast, RTP Unicast / Multicast, File, HTTP, MMSH.
- Send DVD subtitles..
- Send SAP announcesInterfaces and control
- Qt4, Skins, Web, Telnet, Command line, Infrared.
Support: Forums, Mailing lists
Developer: VideoLAN team
License: GNU GPL v2
VLC is primarily written in C. Learn C with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Video Home Page | Return to Media Players Home Page | Return to DVD Tools Home Page | Return to Video Converters Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|