SMPlayer is a Qt based Mplayer front-end, with basic features like playing videos, DVDs, and VCDs to more advanced features like support for MPlayer filters and more.
It can also play DVD ISO images, audio CDs, MPEG, AVI and ASF.
One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer is that it remembers the settings of all files you play. So you start to watch a movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you open that movie again it will resume at the same point you left it, and with the same settings: audio track, subtitles, volume…
- On-Screen Display.
- Detailed information on the currently playing movie.
- DVD chapter support.
- Audio track switching. You can choose the audio track you want to listen. Works with avi and mkv, and of course with DVDs.
- Seeking by mouse wheel. You can use your mouse wheel to go forward or backward in the video.
- Video equalizer, allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and gamma of the video image.
- Multiple speed playback. You can play at 2X, 4X… and even in slow motion.
- Filters. Several filters are available including deinterlace, postprocessing, denoise, and even a karaoke filter (voice removal).
- Configurable subtitles. You can choose font and size, and even colors for the subtitles.
- Audio and subtitles delay adjustment. This allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Advanced options, such as selecting a demuxer or video & audio codecs.
- Playlist. Allows you to queue several files to be played one after each other. Autorepeat and shuffle are supported too.
- Preferences dialog.
- Translations: currently SMPlayer is translated into more than 20 languages, including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, and Japanese.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.