HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter. This software application therefore lets you compress DVDs so that they take less space on a hard disk.
HandBrake takes videos you already have and makes new ones that work on your mobile phone, tablet, TV media player, game console, computer, or web browser—nearly anything that supports modern video formats.
HandBrake works with most common video files and formats, including ones created by consumer and professional video cameras, mobile devices such as phones and tablets, game and computer screen recordings, and DVD and Blu-ray discs. HandBrake leverages tools such as FFmpeg, x264, and x265 to create new MP4 or MKV video files from these Sources.
- Supported sources:
- Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (encrypted or unencrypted, but protection methods other than CSS are not supported and must be handled externally with third-party software), and some .VOB and .TS files.
- PAL or NTSC.
- AC-3, DTS, LPCM or MPEG audio tracks.
- File format: MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM.
- Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer/rate encoding).
- Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks).
- Misc features:
- Chapter selection.
- Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture).
- Integrated bitrate calculator.
- Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling.
- Grayscale encoding.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.