Amarok is an audio player for KDE offering a wealth of features, yet being intuitive to use. It has an attractive interface where music can be drag and dropped into the playlist.
Amarok serves many functions rather than just playing music files. For example, Amarok can be used to organize a library of music into folders according to genre, artist, and album, can edit tags attached to most music formats, associate album art, attach lyrics, and automatically “score” music as it is played.
Amarok is free and open source software.
- Support for multiple backends (xine, Helix, Gstreamer, aRts, and NMM), so that Amarok can play lots of different music formats.
- Internet functionality: Streaming including Radio Streams, and Podcasts, full support for last.fm, automatic downloading of cover art using Amazon services, lyrics downloads.
- Support for iPod, iRiver and generic UMS mp3 players with the all new media-browser.
- Album Cover Manager for managing your album covers using Last.fm services.
- Full Last.fm support.
- Queue Manager allowing complete control over playlists.
- 10 band equalizer.
- Visualizations from libvisual and XMMS.
- KDE integration.
- Full lyrics download.
- Automatic completion of ID3 tags.
- Learn about your music with integrated Wikipedia.
- Podcast support.
- GPodder.net podcast synchronization.
- Integrated Amazon MP3 store.
- Integration with multiple web sources including Magnatune, Jamendo, Ampache, MP3tunes, and others.
- Translated into more than 35 languages.
More Advanced features:
- K3B (CD/DVD burning) integration.
- Dynamic Playlists; self-generating playlists, created accordingly to defined rules.
- DCOP interface providing an easy way to control Amarok with custom scripts which can be written in many different languages including Python and PHP.
- Support for sqlite, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases ensuring fast collection access.
- Shortcuts enabling the software to function whilst minimised to the system tray
- Transcoding for iPod-like and USB Mass Storage devices that complements transcoding for Local Collection.
- Embedded Cover support for Ogg and Flac files.
- Album Art support for tracks on the filesystem and USB Mass Storage devices.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.