Quod Libet is a music management program. It provides several different ways to view your audio library, as well as support for Internet radio and audio feeds. It has extremely flexible metadata tag editing and searching capabilities. It’s designed around the idea that you know how to organize your music better than the developers do.
Quod Libet lets you make playlists based on regular expressions and regular searches. The software also lets you display and edit any tags you want in the file. And it lets you do this for all the file formats it supports — Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MP3, Musepack, and MOD.
Quod Libet is an GTK+-based application written in Python.
Also included is Ex Falso, a tag editor that has the same editing features found in Quod Libet, but does not play audio files.
- Audio Playback:
- ReplayGain support.
- Multimedia key support.
- Real shuffle mode, that plays the whole playlist before repeating.
- Weighted (by rating) random playback.
- Proper ‘Previous’ support in shuffle mode.
- A play queue.
- Bookmarks within files (or playlists, with a plugin).
- Tag Editing:
- Full Unicode support.
- Make changes to many files at once.
- Make changes across all supported file formats.
- Tag files based on their filenames.
- Rename files based on their tags.
- No ugly %a, %t patterns; ugly but more readable <artist>, <title> instead.
- Fast track renumbering.
- Audio Library:
- Watch directories for new music and automatically load it when it appears.
- Hide songs on removable devices that may not always be there.
- Save song ratings and play counts.
- Lyrics downloading and saving.
- Internet Radio (“Shoutcast”) support.
- Audio Feeds (“Podcast”) support.
- User Interface:
- Simple user interface to Just Play Music if you want.
- Useful as a small window or maximized, no feeling cramped or wasted space.
- Album cover display.
- Full player control from a tray icon.
- Recognize and display many uncommon tags, as well as any others you want.
- Many ways to browse your library:
- Simple or regular-expression based search.
- Constructed playlists.
- iTunes/Rhythmbox-like paned browser, but with any tags you want.
- Album list with cover art.
- By directory, including songs not in your library.
- Python-based Plugins:
- Automatic tagging via MusicBrainz and CDDB.
- On-screen display popups.
- Last.fm/AudioScrobbler submission.
- Tag character encoding conversion.
- File Formats: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack, MOD/XM/IT, Wavpack, MPEG-4 AAC.
- Player control and status information from the command line.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|