Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor. It is a powerful tool.
This software application provides several ways of creating and modifying a timeline. Ranging from a simple synopsis view (a-la iMovie) to the full-blown editing view (aka Complex View) which puts you in complete control of your editing.
Shotcut is developed on the MLT Multimedia Framework.
- Supports many audio and video formats and codecs courtesy of FFmpeg.
- Supports many image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF as well as image sequences.
- No import required – native editing.
- Frame-accurate seeking for many formats.
- Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project.
- Screen capture including background capture to capture a Shotcut session.
- Webcam capture.
- Audio capture.
- Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP).
- frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma).
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring.
- JACK transport sync.
- Detailed media properties panel.
- Recent files panel with search.
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager.
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file.
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip.
- Audio scopes: peak meter, waveform, spectrum analyzer.
- Volume control.
- Scrubbing and transport control.
- Flexible UI through dock-able panels.
- Encode/transcode to a variety of formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg (or libav as-built).
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices.
- Stream (encode to IP) files and any capture source.
- Batch encoding with job control.
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save).
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view.
- Connect to Melted servers over MVCP TCP protocol.
- Control the transport playback of Melted units.
- Edit Melted playlists including suport for undo/redo.
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component.
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled).
- Video filters: Chroma Key: Simple, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance.
- Audio filters:Balance, Bass & Treble, Band Pass, Compressor, Copy Channel, Delay, Downmix, Expander, Gain, High Pass, Limiter, Low Pass, Normlize, Notch, Pan, Reverb, Swap Channels.
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading.
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing.
- UI translations: Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portugese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish (not all 100%, but you can help).
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters.
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control.
- DeckLink SDI keyer output.
- UI themes/skins: native-OS look and custom dark and light.
- Control video zoom in the player: fit viewable area (default), 50%, original (100%), and 200%.
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms.
- Thumbnail and waveform caching between sessions.
- Audio mixing across all tracks.
- Video compositing across video tracks.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option.
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline.
- 3-point editing.
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls.
- External monitoring on an extra system display/monitor.
- Fade in and out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline.
- Cross-fade audio and video dissolve transitions easily by overlapping shots on the same track of the timeline.
- Video wipe transitions: bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image.
- Video quality measurement (PSNR and SSIM).
- Support for 4K resolutions.
- Track compositing/blending modes: Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminocity.
- Speed effect for audio/video clips.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.