PiTiVi is an open source video editor, written in Python and based on GStreamer and GTK+. It aims at being a powerful and flexible video editing solution for both the novice and the enthusiast.
PiTiVi allows users to easily edit audio/video projects based on the GStreamer framework. This is important as it allows almost any media file supported by GStreamer to be imported, as well as the rendering of projects using any supported container and codec combination from GStreamer.
This software application provides several ways of creating and modifying a timeline. Ranging from a simple synopsis view (a-la iMovie) to the full-blown editing view (aka Complex View) which puts you in complete control of your editing.
- Unlimited video/audio track layers.
- Full undo/redo history.
- Basic clip manipulation:
- Trimming (change the beginning or end point of a clip in the timeline).
- Ripple edits/ (a variant of basic trimming which, in addition to trimming a clip, moves the “following clips” to fill the gap).
- Roll editing (also a variant of basic trimming which, in addition to trimming a clip, trims the adjacent clips to prevent creating gaps).
- Frame stepping, keyboard controls and shortcuts.
- Audio editing:
- Sound mixing of multiple concurrent audio layers.
- Volume keyframe curves.
- Fast audio waveforms.
- Video thumbnails.
- Zoom slider.
- Fade-ins and fade-outs.
- Fast, playhead-centered zooming.
- Mousewheel integration with modifier keys for timeline navigation.
- Linking/grouping of clips.
- Importing support for all video/audio/image formats provided by GStreamer plugins.
- Supports the Material eXchange Format for professional digital video and audio media.
- Rendering in any container and codec supported by GStreamer plugins.
- Drag and drop for importing, adding and manipulating clips on the timeline.
- Native GTK+ theme integration.
- High quality translations and localization by the GNOME translation teams.
- Full compliance to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.
- Configurable appearance and behavior (clip colors, snapping sensitivity, thumbnail and waveforms generation, etc).
- Translated in 30 languages.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|