Last Updated on July 15, 2023
WeeChat (Wee Enhanced Environment for Chat) is a fast and light IRC client for many operating systems. Everything can be done using a keyboard. The software is very light on system resources and brings innovative features.
The software is highly customizable and extensible with plugins and scripts.
Apart from the usual feature set of modern IRC clients, WeeChat provides incremental text search in buffers, aspell support, a smart hotlist, scripting support for many languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua, Tcl), FIFO pipes for remote control and support for multiple charsets.
- Multi-servers connection, with no limit.
- Soft, background connection.
- IPv6 support.
- SSL support.
- Proxy support.
- Smart hotlist.
- Infobar with highlight notification.
- Horizontal and vertical split.
- Smart “hotlist” in status bar: partial or full names of channels with activity.
- Double charset support (decode/encode).
- DCC support: files and chats.
- FIFO pipe for remote control.
- Double charset support: one for decoding, one for encoding messages (global and by server/channel).
- UTF-8 support.
- Status and infobar.
- Lag indicator.
- 256 color support, with unlimited number of nick colors.
- Color for away nicks.
- Auto completion for nicks, commands and args.
- Command alias.
- IRC proxy.
- Redirection of IRC commands.
- Command / notify.
- Modifier plugin.
- Auto save chats to files.
- Highly customizable with a dynamic setup.
- Extensible with Perl, Python, Ruby & Lua scripts.
- Plugin API:
- Custom buffers, nicklists and bars/items.
- Hooks: commands, timers, files/sockets, modifiers, completion.
- Configuration files with custom sections/options.
- Large range of plugins available including alias, demo, fifo, irc, jabber, logger, notify, tcl, xfer, relay.
- Wide range of scripts: weeget.py (scripts manager), buffers.pl (sidebar with list of buffers), jabber.py (jabber/XMPP protocol), go.py (quick jump to buffers), iset.pl (set options interactively), weetris.pl (tetris-like game), mastermind.pl etc.
- Compliant with RFC 1459,2810,2811,2812,2813.
- Mouse support.
- Cursor mode (free movement of cursor on screen).
- Contexts for keys.
- Split of outgoing IRC messages.
- Color for offline nicks.
- System resource limits for WeeChat process.
- Connect to your WeeChat from your browser, Android, Qt or even Emacs.
- Available in many languages.
- Multi-platforms: Linux, Unix, BSD, GNU Hurd, Mac OS X and Windows (Bash/Ubuntu and Cygwin).
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|