Rosegarden is a professional audio and MIDI sequencer, score editor, and general-purpose music composition and editing environment. It combines a track-oriented audio/MIDI sequencer with a standard music notation editor to provide an “all-in-one” solution.
Rosegarden is an easy-to-learn, attractive application, ideal for composers, musicians, music students, and small studio or home recording environments.
It is designed to look and act in a manner familiar to experienced users coming to Linux from other platforms, whilst also being accessible and friendly to users new to music software generally.
- Allows you to record, arrange, and compose music, in the shape of traditional score or MIDI; data, or of audio files either imported or recorded from a microphone, guitar or whatever audio source you choose.
- Write, edit, and organise music to create a composition, which you can then synthesise, add effects to, and mix down for burning to CD or distribution on the web.
- Contains professional notation editing support for high quality printed output.
- Supports the JACK audio server, LADSPA and DSSI processing and synthesis plugins, as well as advanced features of the ALSA MIDI system such as multiplexed I/O and synchronization with external programs and devices via MIDI clock, MIDI Machine Control (MMC), and MIDI Time Code (MTC).
- Automatic MIDI channel allocation.
- Translations are included for Russian, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Estonian, Welsh, Swedish, Dutch, Japanese, simplified Chinese, Czech, Catalan, and Finnish.
Support: Handbook, Tutorials, Wiki, Mailing lists
Developer: Chris Cannam, D. Michael McIntyre, and Heikki Junes
License: GNU GPL v2
Rosegarden is written in C++. Learn C++ with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Make Music Home Page | Return to Scorewriters Home Page | Return to Digital Audio Workstations Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|