Apache Traffic Server is a fast, modular, scalable and extensible HTTP/1.1 compliant caching proxy server. It speeds internet access, enhances the performance of a website, as well as delivering web hosting capabilities.
This software is a high-performance building block for cloud services. It is more than just a caching proxy server, as it also has support for plugins to build large scale web applications.
Traffic Server is designed to improve content delivery for enterprises, Internet service providers (ISPs), backbone providers, and large intranets by maximizing existing and available bandwidth. Traffic Server was formerly a commercial product created by Inktomi and later aquired by Yahoo! in 2002. Yahoo! maintained the source until its open source release in August 2009.
- Receives user requests for web content as those requests travel to the destined web server (origin server). If Traffic Server contains the requested content, then it serves the content directly. If the requested content is not available from cache, then Traffic Server acts as a proxy.
- provides explicit proxy caching, in which the user’s client software must be configured to send requests directly to Traffic Server.
- Reverse proxy.
- Participate in flexible cache hierarchies, in which Internet requests not fulfilled from one cache are routed to other regional caches, thereby leveraging the contents and proximity of nearby caches.
- Supports ICP (Internet Cache Protocol) peering.
- Network traffic analysis and monitoring:
- Traffic Line and Traffic Shell to collect and process statistics obtained from network traffic information.
- Transaction logging.
- Control client access to the Traffic Server proxy cache.
- Configure Traffic Server to use multiple DNS servers to match your site’s security configuration. For example, Traffic Server can use different DNS servers, depending on whether it needs to resolve hostnames located inside or outside a firewall. This enables you to keep your internal network configuration secure while continuing to provide transparent access to external sites on the Internet.
- Configure Traffic Server to verify that clients are authenticated before they can access content from the Traffic Server cache.
- Secure connections in reverse proxy mode between a client and Traffic Server, and Traffic Server and the origin server, using the SSL termination option.
- Control access via SSL (Secure Sockets Layer).
- Scales well on modern SMP hardware, handling 10s of thousands of requests per second.
- APIs to write your own plug-ins to do anything from modifying HTTP headers to handling ESI requests to writing your own cache algorithm.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are Linux-related. This is a new series.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|