nginx is a free, lightweight, open-source, very powerful and efficient web server and reverse proxy. It uses a scalable event-driven (asynchronous) architecture in contrast to a threaded or process-oriented approach to handling requests. This architecture uses small, but more importantly, predictable amounts of memory under load.
This server can be used as standalone HTTP server and as a reverse proxy server before some Apache or another big server to reduce load to backend servers by many concurrent HTTP-sessions.
nginx can also act as a POP3/IMAP mail proxy with SSL and TLS SNI support.
- Handling of static files, index files, and auto-indexing.
- Accelerated reverse proxy with caching.
- Load balancing.
- Fault tolerance.
- Accelerated support with caching of remote FastCGI servers; simple load balancing and fault tolerance.
- IPv6 support.
- Low memory usage and high concurrency.
- Modular architecture. Filters include gzipping, byte ranges, chunked responses, XSLT, SSI, and image resizing filter. Multiple SSI inclusions within a single page can be processed in parallel if they are handled by FastCGI or proxied servers.
- SSL and TLS SNI support.
- Name-based and IP-based virtual servers.
- Keep-alive and pipelined connections support.
- Flexible configuration.
- Reconfiguration and online upgrade without interruption of the client processing.
- Access log formats, buffered log writing, and quick log rotation.
- 3xx-5xx error codes redirection.
- The rewrite module.
- Access control based on client IP address and HTTP Basic authentication.
- The PUT, DELETE, MKCOL, COPY and MOVE methods.
- FLV streaming.
- MP4 streaming.
- Speed limitation.
- Limitation of simultaneous connections or requests from one address.
- Embedded Perl.
- Keepalive connections may be closed prematurely.
- Support for keepalive connections to upstream servers.
- Consolidation of multiple simultaneous requests to upstream servers if caching is used.
- Support for multiple request and connection limits used simultaneously.
- Reduced memory consumption in various edge cases like handling of long-lived requests.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|