nginx is a free, lightweight, open-source, very powerful and efficient web server and reverse proxy. It uses a scalable event-driven (asynchronous) architecture in contrast to a threaded or process-oriented approach to handling requests. This architecture uses small, but more importantly, predictable amounts of memory under load.
This server can be used as standalone HTTP server and as a reverse proxy server before some Apache or another big server to reduce load to backend servers by many concurrent HTTP-sessions.
nginx can also act as a POP3/IMAP mail proxy with SSL and TLS SNI support.
- Handling of static files, index files, and auto-indexing.
- Accelerated reverse proxy with caching.
- Load balancing.
- Fault tolerance.
- Accelerated support with caching of remote FastCGI servers; simple load balancing and fault tolerance.
- IPv6 support.
- Low memory usage and high concurrency.
- Modular architecture. Filters include gzipping, byte ranges, chunked responses, XSLT, SSI, and image resizing filter. Multiple SSI inclusions within a single page can be processed in parallel if they are handled by FastCGI or proxied servers.
- SSL and TLS SNI support.
- Name-based and IP-based virtual servers.
- Keep-alive and pipelined connections support.
- Flexible configuration.
- Reconfiguration and online upgrade without interruption of the client processing.
- Access log formats, buffered log writing, and quick log rotation.
- 3xx-5xx error codes redirection.
- The rewrite module.
- Access control based on client IP address and HTTP Basic authentication.
- The PUT, DELETE, MKCOL, COPY and MOVE methods.
- FLV streaming.
- MP4 streaming.
- Speed limitation.
- Limitation of simultaneous connections or requests from one address.
- Embedded Perl.
- Keepalive connections may be closed prematurely.
- Support for keepalive connections to upstream servers.
- Consolidation of multiple simultaneous requests to upstream servers if caching is used.
- Support for multiple request and connection limits used simultaneously.
- Reduced memory consumption in various edge cases like handling of long-lived requests.
|Want to find more awesome open source software? Check out our award winning open source software directory featuring more than 20,000 open source apps.|