Apache Ignite is a horizontally scalable, fault-tolerant distributed in-memory computing platform for building real-time applications that can process terabytes of data with in-memory speed.
Apache Ignite can be used as an in-memory cache, an in-memory data grid, and an in-memory database.
Apache Ignite is free and open source software.
- Distributed high-performance in-memory layer. Keep underlying databases in sync, using Ignite as an in-memory data grid.
- Cache and persist data sets scattered across many disjointed back-end databases and/or SaaS platforms to make them instantly available to your applications through Apache Ignite’s functionally rich, unified and consistent APIs.
- Multi-tier storage – designed to work with memory, disk, and Intel Optane as active storage tiers. Ignite takes full control of its memory tier by allocating and managing off-heap regions. Each Ignite server node allocates memory regions during bootstrap, splits the regions into pages, and keeps data records with indexes in those pages. Java heap is used to keep temporary objects such as query result sets, metrics samples, and objects generated by your application code. All these objects are garbage collected eventually.
- Distributed SQL – comes with a ANSI-99 compliant, horizontally scalable, and fault-tolerant SQL engine that allows you to interact with Ignite as with a regular SQL database using JDBC, ODBC drivers, or native SQL APIs available for Java, C#, C++, Python, and other programming languages.
- Distributed Key-Value – distributed key-value store that stores data in memory and on disk. Ignite functions as a distributed partitioned hash map with every cluster node owning a portion of the overall data set in this deployment mode.
- ACID Transactions – operate in a strongly consistent mode with full support for distributed ACID transactions. The consistency guarantees are met for both memory and disk tiers.
- Co-located Processing – supports co-located processing technique for compute-intensive and data-intensive calculations as well as machine learning algorithms. This technique increases performance by eliminating the impact of network latency.
- Machine Learning – a set of simple, scalable, and efficient tools that allow building predictive machine learning models without costly data transfers.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|