Poezio is a free console XMPP client (the protocol on which the Jabber IM network is built).
Its goal is to let you connect very easily (no account creation needed) to the network and join various chatrooms, immediately. It tries to look like the most famous IRC clients (weechat, irssi, etc). Many commands are identical and you won’t be lost if you already know these clients. Configuration can be made in a configuration file or directly from the client.
Poezio is free and open source software.
- Encryption – TLS, OTR, OMEMO.
- Carbon copies – switch devices while staying in the same conversations without losing messages.
- Corrections – fix your last sent messages.
- Rich text – send and receive messages with colors and formatting.
- Chat state notifications – see the writing status of your contacts.
- Plugins – add the features you want through official or other plugins.
- Anonymous – use XMPP without an account.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.