Freetalk is a console based chat client for Google Hangout and other XMPP servers. It has context sensitive auto-completion for buddy names, commands, and even ordinary English words.
Similar to GNU Emacs, you can customize and extend Freetalk with Scheme language.
Freetalk is free and open source software.
- Highly extensible through ‘Scheme’ language.
- Console based client with Readline interface featuring command line editing, history, context sensitive autocompletion etc.
- Most of the features in Freetalk are fully customizable, either through command line arguments, or startup file.
- With a new concept called ‘dynamic-commands’, a command can appear and disappear dynamically, based on the context.
- History feature records all your conversions in ~/.freetalk/history/login-id/buddy-name.
Support: Documentation, Mailing List
Developer: Anand Babu, Harshavardhana, Anis Elleuch, Nikola Beneš
License: GNU General Public License; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.