AssaultCube, formerly ActionCube, is a free first-person-shooter based on the game Cube. It is set in a realistic looking environment, with a gameplay that stays fast and arcade like. AssaultCube was designed to be more realistic and team-oriented than Cube while keeping Cube’s distinctive fast-paced gameplay.
This game is all about team oriented multiplayer fun. There’s no story line, the game is purely about two teams (The Cubers Liberations Army and the Rabid Viper Special Forces) that relentlessly fight each other.
AssaultCube has a growing player base with more than a dozen user-run servers online. AssaultCube also has several gaming clans, some of which participate in organized tournaments. The game’s increasing popularity is likely due to its creative but simple gameplay style, cross-platform nature, and low hardware requirements.
The bots have five levels of difficulty ranging from Bad to Best and you can play against up to thirty two of them.
- Capture the Flag, Hunt the Flag, Keep the Flag.
- Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch.
- One Shot One Kill and Team One Shot One Kill (Sniper rifle only).
- Last Swiss Standing (Knives and Grenades only).
- Team Survivor (Teams fight until opposing team is eliminated) and Survivor.
- Pistol Frenzy.
- 7 weapons to frag enemies:
- Swiss Tech Combat Blade DR-88.
- Mk-77 Semi-Automatic Pistol.
- MTP-57 Assault Rifle.
- Precision Tech AD-81 Sniper Rifle.
- A-Ard 10 Submachine Gun.
- V-19 Combat Shotgun.
- SAL-T3 Grenade.
- Shotgun recoils.
- Mini team-radar.
- Map Overview.
- Water reflections.
- Dynamic player shadows.
- Team chat.
- Spectator mode and “follow player” when dead.
- Cooperative editmode – create new maps together with other people online.
- Low latency, it can even run across a 56 Kbps connection!
- Lightweight size, only about 50 MB to download, plus additional maps average 20 KB each!
- With the correct settings, it can run on old hardware (Pentium III and above).
- Has a built in, in-game map editor to help players create their own maps and allows for co-operative editmode in realtime with others!
- Features a single-player bot system.
- Supports recording of your game by the “demo” system.
- Comes pre-packaged with several dozen different maps!
- Cross-platform – runs on most major operating systems.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|