SMTube is an open source stand-alone graphical application that lets you search, play and download YouTube videos.
Videos are played back with a media player (by default the open source SMPlayer is used, a media player that can play virtually all video and audio formats) instead of a Flash player. This allows better performance, particularly with high definition content. SMTube also lets users download the videos. Several videos can be downloaded at a time.
The application is a fork from UMPlayer.
- YouTube Browser – allows you to browse among the most popular, most viewed and most rated videos. You can search for a video typing a term in the search field at the bottom of the window. To play a video, just double click on it.
- Download YouTube videos.
- Quality and format (mp4/flv) can be selected in the settings window. It is possible to download HD videos.
- Thumbnail generator.
- Audio and video filters.
- Download 1080p in DASH format.
- Good support for encrypted signatures.
- Internationalization support.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.