Docear (“dog-ear”) is an academic literature suite. It integrates everything you need to search, organize and create academic literature into a single application: digital library with support for pdf documents, reference manager, note taking and with mind maps taking a central role. These applications are BibTeX based reference management, mind mapping, and some pdf management capabilities.
Docear works seamlessly with many existing tools like Mendeley, Microsoft Word, and Foxit Reader.
Docear is based on Freeplane, open source mind mapping software, and integrates JabRef, the open source reference manager.
Docear is no longer under active development.
- Integration of all major components required for literature search, organization, and creation into a single application:
- Academic search engine / digital library with free full-text access*.
- Research paper recommender system*.
- Reference manager.
- PDF reader*.
- Information manager (Mind mapper).
- MS Word, OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and LaTeX add-on*.
- Import and managing of PDF annotations:
- PDF bookmarks.
- PDF comments.
- Highlighted text (with limitations).
- Structured information management in a mind map instead of simple tables or social tags.
- Using standard formats wherever possible (FreeMind/Freeplane XML, BibTeX, Adobe PDF).
- Usable instead or as a complement to your existing reference manager (JabRef, Zotero, Mendeley, …).
- Full control over your data: No registration required and no data is stored on our servers except you allow it explicitly.
- Free and open source.
- PDF Metadata extraction.
- Optional storing of Metadata directly in PDF files (XMP Metadata).
- Monitoring for new files.
- Full reference management capabilities due to complete integration of JabRef.
- Full mind mapping capabilities since Docear is developed as add-on for the mind mapping tool Freeplane.
- Scripting API.
- Online backup space.
- Synchronize your data between different computers.
- Backup of your data including versioning.
Developer: Joeran Beel, Stefan Langer, Marcel Genzmehr
License: GNU GPL v2 or later
Docear is written in Java. Learn Java with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Reference Management Tools Home Page | Return to Education Top Picks Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|