Last Updated on July 24, 2023
PDFsam Basic (also known as PDF Split and Merge) is a free and open-source cross-platform desktop application to split, merge, extract pages, rotate and mix PDF documents.
The software is written in the Java programming language.
PDFsam Basic is written using the JavaFX. Version 4 is released as a self-contained application and includes a linked OpenJDK 11 runtime while version 3 requires a Java Runtime Environment 8 with JavaFx installed in order to run.
- Merge PDF files selecting entire documents or subsections of them. It provides a number of settings to let the user decide what to do in case the original PDF files contain Acro Forms or an outline (bookmarks) and it can generate a table of contents, normalize pages size and add blank pages.
- Input PDF files can be merged completely or partially. A page selection can be set in the form of comma separated page intervals (Ex. 1-10, 14, 25-) letting you specify what pages you want to merge for every input PDF file.
- Add a table of contents at the beginning of the generated PDF.
- Split PDF files in a number of ways:
- After every page, even pages or odd pages.
- After a given set of page numbers.
- Specify the page numbers where you want to break your document, or every n pages.
- By bookmark level. Select the outline (bookmarks) level you want to split at and your PDF file will be divided at every page pointed by the bookmarks at the selected level
- By size, where the generated files will roughly have the specified size.
- Rotate PDF files where multiple files can be rotated, either every page or a selected set of pages.
- Extract pages from multiple PDF files. Single pages or page ranges can be selected to create a new PDF file containing only the pages wanted.
- Mix PDF files where a number of PDF files are merged, taking pages alternately from them. Merge two or more PDF files taking pages alternately from each input file, in straight or reverse order.
- Rotate PDF files by simply selecting the files you want to rotate and apply a rotation of 90, 180 or 270 degrees to all or some of their pages.
- Save and restore of the workspace.
- Cross-platform support – runs under Linux, Mac, and Windows.
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|