gvSIG Desktop is a powerful, user-friendly, interoperable GIS used by thousands of users worldwide.
It is easy to work in a variety of formats with gvSIG Desktop, vector and raster files, databases and remote services. The software offers a variety of tools to analyze and manage your geographic information.
gvSIG Desktop is designed to be an easily extensible solution, allowing users to improve the software application and develop tailor made solutions.
- Access to vector formats: SHP, DXF, GML, DWG, DGN, KML.
- Access to raster formats: BMP, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, JP2, PNG, VRT, DAT of ENVI, ERDAS (LAN, GIS, IMG), PCI Geomatics (PIX, AUX), ADF of ESRI, ILWIS (MPR, MPL), MAP of PC Raster, ASC, PGM, PPM, RST of IDRISI, RMF, NOS, KAP, HDR, RAW.
- Access to remote services: OGC (WMS, WFS, WCS, WFS-T, WPS), ArcIMS, Ecwp.
- Access to databases and tables: PostGIS, ArcSDE, JDBC, CSV.
- Display:zooms, panning, frames, locator.
- Query: information, area and distance measurement, hyperlink.
- Selection: by point, by rectangle, by polygon, by layer, by polyline, by circle, by buffer zone, alphanumeric search, invert selection, delete selection.
- Searching: by attribute, by coordinates.
- Geoprocessing: buffer, intersection, clip, dissolve, union, convex hull, difference, merge, spatial join, XY shift, reprojection, Sextante geoprocessing.
- Graphical editing: add event layers, snapping, grid, flatness, command stack, undo/redo, copy, move, symmetry, rotate, scale, edit vertex, internal polygon, matrix, explode, split, join, autocomplete polygon, insert point, multipoint, line, arc, polyline, polygon, rectangle, square, circle, ellipse.
- Alphanumeric editing: manage fields, edit registers, field calculator.
- Catalogue and gazetteer services
- Vector representation: unique symbol, quantities (dot density, intervals, graduated symbols, proportional symbols), categories (expressions, unique values), multiple attributes, save/load legend, symbology constructor, symbology levels, symbology libraries.
- Raster representation: brightness, contrast, enhance, transparency by pixel, opacity, colour tables, gradients.
- Labeling: Static labeling, advanced labeling, individual labeling.
- Tables: statistics, filter, ascending/descending order, link, join, move selection, export, import fields, coding, normalization.
- Layout constructor: page layout, cartographic elements (view, legend, north, scale, frames, image, text, graphic), grid, templates.
- Printing: to PDF, to Postscript, export to several image formats.
- Network analysis: network topology, stops manager, minimum path, connectivity, minimum spanning tree, origin – destination matrix, emergency / nearest facilities provider, service areas.
- Raster and remote sensing: statistics, filters, histogram, scale range, enhance, save to raster file, vectorization, Region of Interest (ROI) definition, general components, georeferencing, geolocation, supervised classification, band algebra, image profiles, decision tree, main components, tasseled cap, image fusion, scatter diagram, mosaics.
- Publishing: MapServer’s WCS, WMS and WFS, Geoserver’s WFS.
- 3D and animation: 3D Views, XYZ-projected as well as spherical (planetary), 3D layers, 3D symbology, 3D editing, 3D framing, 2D and 3D animation, stereo viewing (horizontal split).
- Topology: topological building, topological editing, generalization, reverse line direction, polygons from/to lines, lines from/to points, Delaunay triangulation, Thiessen polygons, build, clean, topological error fixing (in Batch mode).
- Other: Coordinates Reference Systems manager, import from/export to WMC, scripting, translations manager.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.