Therion is a tool for cave surveying. This application archive survey data on computer in a form as close to the original notes and sketches as possible and retrieve them in a flexible and efficient way. This tool also draws up-to-date plan or elevation maps.
Drawings are done over scans and can be distorted to fit the centreline data. Output is in single sheet or atlas style PDF or SVG files. All data is stored in text files and a map editor (xtherion) is provided to aid in the creation of the files.
Therion can also produce realistic 3D models, generated from walls and passage-heights. Output formats supported are Survex .3d files, VRML, DXF, SVG, shapefiles, and the native .loc and older .thm (therion model). Therion is compatible with Survex, and centreline data can be stored in Survex or Therion form. Centreline data and sketches can be imported from PocketTopo.
TeX and metapost are used to generate the images. libtk-img is needed to use scans in formats other than GIF and PNM (such as PNG and JPEG).
Therion is a command-line application. It processes input files, which include 2D maps—in text format, and creates files with 2D maps or 3D model as the output.
- Structure of map drawings is fully independent on survey data – draw partial maps as you are exploring and surveying the cave.
- Complete maps with all the detail. No additional ink stroke is needed.
- Maps are dynamic, always up-to-date – i.e. they are automatically re-drawn after loop closure, blunder fix, scale or symbol set change.
- Split the cave into layers and selectively display them.
- Generate an interactive atlas.
- Define multiple independent “views” of map structure suitable for different purposes.
- 3D models are created using 2D maps.
- Support for LRUD dimensions.
- Export formats for maps: pdf, svg, xhtml, survex, dxf, esri53, and kml (Google Earth).
- Export formats for 3D models: loch, .plt (Compass), .3d (Survex), dxf, esri, vrml, 3dmf, and kml.
- Import formats: .3d (Survex), .plt (Compass), .xyz (general), PocketTopo Therion.
- Internationlization support: Czech, German, Greek, English [UK/US], Spanish, French, Italian, Portugese [BR/PT], Russian, Slovak and Albanian.
Support: Documentation, Wiki, GitHub Code Repository
Developer: Stacho Mudrak, Martin Budaj
License: GNU GPL v2
Therion is written in C++ and Tcl. Learn C++ with our recommended free books and free tutorials. Learn Tcl with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Earth Sciences Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|