Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based First Person Shooter (FPS) game with elements of a Real Time Strategy (RTS) game. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like a Real Time Strategy game. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more…
Player advancement is different depending on which team you are on. As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill. These credits may be used to purchase new weapons and upgrades from the “Armoury”. The alien team advances quite differently. Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a new class. The more kills gained the more powerful the classes available.
The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team. This is achieved by not only killing the opposing players but also removing their ability to respawn by destroying their spawn structures.
- Unique upgrade system where players from each team must make a certain number of kills to gain new upgrades.
- Similar theme and game-play to Natural Selection.
- Players may fight as either aliens or humans, choosing between dozens of unique abilities or helping their team by constructing bases out of a multitude of buildable structures.
- New flexible particle system for Q3 – can create smoke, water, fire easily in Q3 maps.
- 16 buildable structures with in-game functions.
- Play as several alien classes with unique abilities.
- Customize your setup as a human and buy new weapons, armour and items.
- Scale the walls and ceilings as an alien waiting for an unsuspecting human.
- Realistic physics and motion – no bunny hopping or quick back peddling.
- Flexible map system – animated mapobjects, triggering, light flares, etc.
- Large weapons system – don’t like the weapon you have? Sell it and buy a different one, dozens of options.
Developer: Dark Legion Development
License: GNU GPL
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.