Fuse (the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator) is a ZX Spectrum emulator.
It supports several models (including the 128), with faithful emulation of the display and sound.
The emulator can load Z80, SNA and SZX snapshots, as well as TAP and TZX virtual-tape files.
Saving to SZX, Z80 and SNA snapshots and TZX and TAP tape files is supported. The SLT extension to the Z80 format is partly supported (enough for multi-load games); however, loading of the old DAT-file variant is not. DSK disk images are supported when emulating a +3, TRD and SCL disk images are supported when emulating a Pentagon or Scorpion and DCK cartridge images are supported when emulating a Timex 2068 variant. Interface II ROM cartridges are also supported.
Fuse supports various front-ends. The usual one is GTK+-based, but there are also SDL, Xlib, SVGAlib and framebuffer ones available.
Fuse has the ability to apply essentially arbitrary filters between building its image of the Spectrum’s screen, and displaying it on the emulating machine’s monitor. These filters can be used to do various forms of smoothing, emulation of TV scanlines and various other possibilities.
- Accurate 16K, 48K (including the NTSC variant), 128K, +2, +2A and +3 emulation.
- Working +3e, SE, TC2048, TC2068, TS2068, Pentagon 128, Pentagon “512” (Pentagon 128 modified for extra memory), Pentagon 1024 and Scorpion ZS 256 emulation.
- Runs at true Speccy speed on any computer you’re likely to try it on.
- Support for loading from .tzx files, including accelerated loading.
- Sound (on Windows and Mac OS X, and on systems supporting ALSA, the Open Sound System, SDL or OpenBSD/Solaris’s /dev/audio.
- Kempston joystick emulation.
- Emulation of the various printers you could attach to the Spectrum.
- Support for the RZX input recording file format, including ‘competition mode’.
- Emulation of the Currah μSource, DivIDE, DivMMC, Interface 1, Kempston mouse, Multiface One/128/3, Spectrum +3e, ZXATASP, ZXCF and ZXMMC interfaces.
- Emulation of the Covox, Fuller audio box, Melodik and SpecDrum audio interfaces.
- Emulation of the Beta 128, +D, Didaktik 80/40, DISCiPLE and Opus Discovery disk interfaces.
- Emulation of the Spectranet and SpeccyBoot network interfaces.
- Support for the Recreated ZX Spectrum Bluetooth keyboard.
- Cross-platform support.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are Linux-related. This is a new series.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux. This is a new series.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi. This is a new series.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|