Fuse (the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator) is a ZX Spectrum emulator.
It supports several models (including the 128), with faithful emulation of the display and sound.
The emulator can load Z80, SNA and SZX snapshots, as well as TAP and TZX virtual-tape files.
Saving to SZX, Z80 and SNA snapshots and TZX and TAP tape files is supported. The SLT extension to the Z80 format is partly supported (enough for multi-load games); however, loading of the old DAT-file variant is not. DSK disk images are supported when emulating a +3, TRD and SCL disk images are supported when emulating a Pentagon or Scorpion and DCK cartridge images are supported when emulating a Timex 2068 variant. Interface II ROM cartridges are also supported.
Fuse supports various front-ends. The usual one is GTK+-based, but there are also SDL, Xlib, SVGAlib and framebuffer ones available.
Fuse has the ability to apply essentially arbitrary filters between building its image of the Spectrum’s screen, and displaying it on the emulating machine’s monitor. These filters can be used to do various forms of smoothing, emulation of TV scanlines and various other possibilities.
- Accurate 16K, 48K (including the NTSC variant), 128K, +2, +2A and +3 emulation.
- Working +3e, SE, TC2048, TC2068, TS2068, Pentagon 128, Pentagon “512” (Pentagon 128 modified for extra memory), Pentagon 1024 and Scorpion ZS 256 emulation.
- Runs at true Speccy speed on any computer you’re likely to try it on.
- Support for loading from .tzx files, including accelerated loading.
- Sound (on Windows and Mac OS X, and on systems supporting ALSA, the Open Sound System, SDL or OpenBSD/Solaris’s /dev/audio.
- Kempston joystick emulation.
- Emulation of the various printers you could attach to the Spectrum.
- Support for the RZX input recording file format, including ‘competition mode’.
- Emulation of the Currah μSource, DivIDE, DivMMC, Interface 1, Kempston mouse, Multiface One/128/3, Spectrum +3e, ZXATASP, ZXCF and ZXMMC interfaces.
- Emulation of the Covox, Fuller audio box, Melodik and SpecDrum audio interfaces.
- Emulation of the Beta 128, +D, Didaktik 80/40, DISCiPLE and Opus Discovery disk interfaces.
- Emulation of the Spectranet and SpeccyBoot network interfaces.
- Support for the Recreated ZX Spectrum Bluetooth keyboard.
- Cross-platform support.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.