Vega Strike is an open source 3D Action / Space / Simulation game that lets players trade, fight, and explore in a vast universe. Many of the core game mechanics of Vega Strike are indirectly inspired by the classic game, Elite.
Vega Strike allows players to explore a vastly dynamic universe where frontiers collide and you are just a pilot trying to make ends meet.
The game features a dynamic trading economy, allowing your character to operate as a merchant. Discover what trade routes bring in the most profit, what commodities make you the most money given your ship’s cargo space limitations, accept cargo missions and learn to avoid areas of danger (repairs eat into your profits).
The Vega Strike engine provide the foundation for the Privateer Gemini Gold, Privateer Remake, Vega Trek, and Pi Armada projects.
- 15 species – 6 main species and 9 client species.
- 39 different powers, factions, or groups.
- Randomly generated universe which will vary with any new created game.
- More than 5700 different systems connected by an extensive jump network.
- 21 different planet types.
- More than 80 different ships in 230 varieties.
- Each ship gives you a unique individual flight feeling.
- Multiple-ship ownership.
- Three 3D cockpits.
- Around 10 different stations.
- 110 upgrade items.
- 190 weapons and turrets.
- 240 different cargo items.
- Cargo trading.
- Patrol missions.
- Rescue missions.
- Combat missions.
- Dynamic news keeping you up-to-date with the progress of the universe.
- Dynamic progress of the universe with changing system ownership as the war progresses.
- Plenty of shoot ’em up action.
- Preliminary multi-player death-match (testing server only).
- Per pixel specularity, glow, and damage (fades in when the craft gets damaged) maps.
- Detail textures (tiles that fade in when you get close to the ship, to add detail)
- Planets with 3D atmospheres.
- Basic mesh animation (frame by frame).
- Engine flares.
- Damage ‘sparks’.
- Shields that glow where hit.
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|