Veejay is a visual instrument and realtime video sampler. It allows users to “play” the video like you would play a piano. While playing, you can record the resulting video directly to disk (video sampling).
Veejay can be operated live by using the keyboard (which is completely user definable) or remotely over TCP/IP.
Veejay can also be used to manipulate video in a realtime environment such as visual performances or for (automated) interactive video installations.
- Client/Server architecture.
- Soft realtime.
- Frame accurate.
- Loop based editing.
- Native YUV processing.
- Crash recovery.
- Codecs: MJPEG, MPNG, DV, YUV (raw).
- Containers: AVI , Quicktime, rawDV.
- Devices: USB webcams, DV1394, TV capture cards, etc.
- Support for unlimited capture devices.
- Support for Image files (PNG, JPEG, TIFF, etc).
- 132 built-in FX , many unique and original FX filters.
- FX chain (20 slots).
- All FX parameters can be animated.
- Mix up to two layers per FX slot.
- Non destructive edit decision lists (cut/copy/paste/crop video).
- Simple text editor.
- Sample editor.
- Sequence editor.
- Live disk recorder (sampling).
- Full deck save/restore.
- Live clip loading.
- Live sample sequencing.
- VIMS event recording/playback.
- Various looping modes including bounce looping.
- Playback speed and direction.
- Video scratching.
- Change in-and out points of a sample (marker).
- Slow motion audio / video.
- Fast motion audio / video.
- Dynamic framerate.
- Random frame play.
- Random sample play.
- Access up to 4096 video samples instantly.
- Audio trough Jack (low latency audio server).
- SDL and OpenGL video.
- YUV4MPEG streaming.
- Network streaming (unicast and multicast).
- Preview rendering.
- Programmable keyboard interface.
- VIMS (TCP/IP).
- OSC (UDP).
- PureData through sendVIMS external.
- MIDI devices (MIDI learning).
- Keystroke/Event record/playback.
- Full screen or windowed mode.
- Perspective and forward projection.
- Support for FreeFrame plugins.
- Support for Frei0r plugins.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.