Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. It is capable of sharing video, audio and images between most modern devices. It was originally based on PS3 Media Server by shagrath, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility.
Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and macOS.
The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by FFmpeg, MediaInfo, OpenSubtitles, Crowdin, MEncoder, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, VLC and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats.
Universal Media Server streams to many devices including Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) and PlayStation 3 (PS3), Microsoft Xbox One and 360, TVs (Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio, LG, Philips, Sharp), smart phones (iPhone, Samsung Android, etc.), Blu-ray players, and more.
- Web interface – supports even devices without DLNA support.
- Automatic bitrate adjustment – automatically changes video bitrate based on your network speed.
- Automatic maximum quality.
- Instant browsing – view files without having to wait for the folders to be scanned, which can take minutes or hours with large libraries.
- Subtitles on all devices.
- DTS support – pass along full quality DTS instead of downmixing it to another format.
- Live subtitles from OpenSubtitles.
- H.264 transcoding.
- True Motion (frame interpolation) – takes regular framerates, usually 24fps or 25fps, and adds frames in between to make the motion smoother and more realistic. This is done using InterFrame, which is an AviSynth plugin that uses SVP libraries.
- Overscan compensation.
- Automatic plugin download/install.
- Unlimited folders on PS3 & Xbox.
- AviSynth support.
- iTunes support.
- Renderer search support.
- Maximum network bandwidth setting.
- DVD support.
- Archive support – support for browsing archives like ZIP, RAR, GZ, etc.
- 3D SBS video support.
- High-quality video thumbnails
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|