Rygel is a home media solution (UPnP AV MediaServer) that allows you to easily share audio, video and pictures to other devices.
Additionally, media player software can use Rygel to become a MediaRenderer that may be controlled remotely by a UPnP or DLNA Controller.
Rygel achieves interoperability with other devices in the market by trying to conform to the very strict requirements of DLNA and by converting media on-the-fly to formats that client devices can handle.
Most Rygel functionality is implemented through a plug-in mechanism.
- Browse and play media stored on a PC via a TV or PS3, even if the original content is in a format that the TV or PS3 cannot play.
- Easily search and play media using a phone, TV, or PC.
- Redirect sound output to DLNA speakers.
- Export of on-disk media via Tracker or media-export server plugins.
- Export of online media from 2nd German TV station.
- Export of media hierarchies provided by external applications through implementation of D-Bus MediaServer spec. Applications that utilize this feature are:
- DVB Daemon.
- Export of GStreamer pipelines as media items on the network, specified through gst-launch syntax in the user configuration.
- Audio and Video Transcoding when using Rygel’s GStreamer media engine.
- Standalone MediaRenderer plugin based on GStreamer playbin element.
- Export of media players that implement MPRIS2 D-Bus interface, as MediaRenderer devices.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|