Cube MetalHeart is an open source, fast paced, multi-player shooter based on the Cube 2 Engine.
It is an extended version of Sauerbraten, like a standalone mod. Featuring new graphics, textures, levels, sounds, models, soundtrack and backward compatibility to Sauerbraten maps and servers.
Whilst the graphics are not spectacular, Cube MetalHeart 2 stands out from the crowd with its exceptional playability.
- Extremely playable.
- 3 new game modes dedicated for advanced FPS players.
- 24 maps in different themes all optimized for Tesseract Engine.
- D’n’B and Dubstep soundtrack by UK’s xKore.
- Many multiplayer gameplay modes, most in teamplay variants as well: deathmatch, instagib, efficiency, tactics, capture (domination/battlefield style), CTF (capture the flag), coop edit (!).
- Masterserver & ingame server browser.
- Lag-free gameplay experience.
- Two singleplayer modes: DMSP (fight a monster invasion on any DM map), classic SP (progression driven SP like other games).
- 6 directional heightfield in octree world structure allowing for instant easy in-game geometry editing (even in multiplayer, coop edit).
- Rendering engine optimized for high geometry throughput, supporting hardware occlusion culling and software precomputed conservative PVS with occluder fusion.
- Lightmap based lighting with accurate shadows from everything including mapmodels, smooth lighting for faceted geometry, and fast compiles. Soft shadowmap based shadows for dynamic entities.
- Pixel and vertex shader support, each model and world texture can have its own shader assigned. Supports normal and parallax mapping, specular and dynamic lighting with bloom and glow, environment-mapped and planar reflections/refractions, and post-process effects.
- Robust physics written specifically for this world structure.
- Loading of md2/md3/md5/obj/smd/iqm models for skeletal and vertex animated characters, weapons, items, and world objects. Supports animation blending, procedural pitch animation, and ragdoll physics for skeletally-animated characters.
- Network library designed for high speed games, client/server network system.
- Small but complete configuration/scripting language.
- Simple stereo positional sound system.
- Particle engine, supporting text particles, volumetric explosions, soft particles, and decals.
- 3D menu/gui system, for in-world representation of choices.
Developer: Freak Mind Games
License: BSD License
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.