Last Updated on July 28, 2023
X File Explorer (Xfe) is an Microsoft Explorer or Commander like file manager for Linux.
Xfe is small, very fast and only requires the FOX library to be fully functional. It can be launched from the command line extremely quickly. Xfe can also efficiently complete terminal commands.
Xfe is desktop independent and can easily be customized. It has Commander and Explorer styles. Xfe is based on the popular, but discontinued X Win Commander, originally written by Maxim Baranov.
- Fast graphical user interface.
- Commander/Explorer interface with four file manager modes : a) one panel, b) a directory tree and one panel, c) two panels, and d) a directory tree and two panels.
- Integrated text editor (X File Write, xfw).
- Integrated text viewer (X File View, xfv).
- Integrated image viewer (X File Image, xfi).
- Integrated RPM or DEB packages viewer / installer / uninstaller (X File Package, xfp).
- Copy/cut/paste files from and to your favorite desktop (GNOME/KDE/XFCE).
- Drag and Drop in Xfe and from and to your favorite desktop.
- Root mode.
- Status line.
- File associations.
- Optional trash can for file delete operations.
- Auto save registry.
- Double click or single click files and directories navigation.
- Right mouse click pop-up menu in tree list and file list.
- Change file(s) attributes.
- Mount/Unmount devices.
- Bookmarks (up to 20).
- Back and forward history lists for directory navigation.
- Color themes (GNOME, KDE, Windows 95, iMac, BeOS and many more).
- Icons themes (XFE, GNOME, XFCE, …).
- Create / Extract archives (tar, zip, gzip, bzip2, compress, rar, lzh formats are supported).
- Tooltips with file properties.
- Progress bars or dialogs for lengthy file operations.
- Thumbnails image previews.
- Ability to enqueue multimedia files (open command).
- UTF-8 support (through the FOX 1.6 library).
- Key bindings that can be modified and restored.
- Available in 17 languages (French, German, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, Turkish, Catalan, Spanish, Argentinian Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Hungarian, Norwegian, Danish, Russian, Czech, Swedish, and Chinese).
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|