Okteta is a simple editor for the raw data of files.
This type of program is also called hex editor or binary editor.
The data is displayed in two variants: as the numeric values of the bytes and as the characters assigned to the values. Values and characters can be shown either in two columns (the traditional display in hex editors) or in rows with the value on top of the character. Editing can be done both for the values and for the characters.
Besides the usual editing capabilities Okteta also brings a small set of tools, like a table listing decodings into common simple data types, a table listing all possible bytes with its’ character and value equivalents, an info view with a statistic, a checksum calculator, a filter tool and a string extraction tool. All modifications to the data loaded can be endlessly undone or redone.
Okteta is free and open source software.
- Values and characters shown either in two columns (the traditional display in hex editors) or in rows with the value on top of the character.
- Editing and navigating similar to a text editor.
- Customizable data views.
- Data view profiles.
- Tools dockable on all sides or floating.
- Numerical encodings: Hexadecimal, Decimal, Octal, Binary.
- Character encodings: All 8-bit encodings as supplied by Qt, EBCDIC.
- Fast data rendering on screen.
- Multiple open files.
- Support for remote files, by http, ftp, fish & other protocols supported by KDE Platform.
- Export of data to text, both file and clipboard.
- Checksum/Hashsum calculator: Modular sum (8/16/32/64 bit), Adler-32, CRC-32 and Hashsums by the QCA2 library, can be SHA-0/1/224/256/384/512, MD2/4/5, RIPEMD-160, Whirlpool.
- Structures tool for analyzing and editing based on user-creatable structure definitions.
- Statistic tool.
- String extraction tool.
- 8-bit charset conversion tool.
- Decoding table listing common simple data types.
- Table with complete list of all byte values.
Developer: Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
License: GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 3
Okteta is written in C++. Learn C++ with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Hex Editors Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|