The Sauerbraten (Cube 2) engine is an advanced and complete open source engine available today, with many novel features unavailable elsewhere. Its main strength is its very productive content pipeline which is especially attractive to smaller companies making casual or serious games.
It is a branch of the computer game Cube and expands its original concept. It shares most of its design goals and philosophy with Cube, but using a new 6-directional heightfield world model. This allows much more complex level geometry and easier editing.
Sauerbraten is also a networked fast-paced 3D first person first-person shooter game. It supports rather modern graphic effects and some attractive graphic details.
The game client also works as the map editor. It is even possible to create and/or edit a map together with other people over a network connection.
The game uses OpenGL and SDL, features single-player and multiplayer game play and contains an in-game level editor.
Game Engine features include:
- 6 directional heightfield in octree world structure allowing for instant easy in-game geometry editing (even in multiplayer, coop edit).
- Rendering engine optimized for high geometry throughput, supporting hardware occlusion culling.
- Lightmap based lighting with accurate shadows from everything including mapmodels, smooth lighting for faceted geometry, and fast compiles.
- Pixel and vertex shader support, each model and world texture can have its own shader assigned.
- Robust physics written specifically for this world structure.
- Loading of md2/md3 models for animated characters, weapons, items, world objects.
- Network library designed for high speed games, client/server network system.
- Small but complete configuration/scripting language.
- Simple stereo positional sound system.
- Particle engine, supporting text particles.
- 3d menu/gui system, for in-world representation of choices.
Game features include:
- Oldskool fast & intense gameplay (read: similar to Doom 2 / Quake 1).
- Many multiplayer gameplay modes, most in teamplay variants as well: deathmatch, instagib, efficiency, tactics, capture (domination/battlefield style), and coop edit.
- Masterserver & ingame server browser.
- Lag-free gameplay experience.
- Two singleplayer modes: DMSP (fight a monster invasion on any DM map), classic SP (progression driven SP like other games).
- 7 weapons tuned for maximum satisfaction: double barrelled shogun, rocket launcher, machine gun, rifle, grenade launcher, pistol, and fist.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|