Papis is a powerful and highly extensible command-line based document and bibliography manager.
Its command-line interface (CLI) is heavily tailored after Git.
The software is written in the Python programming language and released under an open source license.
- Synchronizing of documents: put your documents in some folder and synchronize it using the tools you love: git, dropbox, rsync, OwnCloud, Google Drive …
- Share libraries with colleagues without forcing them to open an account, nowhere, never.
- Download directly paper information from DOI number via Crossref.
- (optional) scihub support. The script is not included directly as a papis command, and it has its own PyPi repository.
- Import from Zotero and other managers.
- Create custom scripts to help you achieve great tasks easily.
- Export documents into many formats (bibtex, yaml).
- Command-line granularity, all the power of a library at the tip of your fingers.
- Implements a very rudimentary caching system. A cache is created for every library. Inside the cache only the paths to the different valid papis documents are stored.
- Bash autocompletion script
- Experimental graphical user interfaces are available.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.