We’ve defined an eligibility criteria to guide us when selecting apps for this series. See the bottom of this article for details.
Discord lets friends communicate directly via voice, video, or text, and join servers where larger communities can interact together. It combines the voice chat aspects of services like Skype and Teamspeak with the text chat aspects of Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and instant messaging services.
Create a home for your communities and friends, where you can stay close and have fun over text, voice, and video. Whether you’re part of a school club, a gaming group, a worldwide art community, or just a handful of friends that want to spend time, Discord makes it easy to talk every day and hang out more often.
Discord is very popular with gaming communities. It offers a more more appealing interface than other similar software.
Discord has attracted millions of users.
- The app offers low-latency voice chats which function as a traditional voice call or in a voice chat lobby.
- Highly customizable interface. The default aesthetic will appeal to the gaming community but the interface is open to significant tweaking.
- Instant voice communication and real-time collaboration. There’s push-to-talk channels.
- Text chat with lots of bells and whistles.
- Private and public servers.
- Cross-platform support.
- Connect Spotify music streaming to a Discord account so friends can see what you’re listening to and listen to it.
Discord for Android is a great tool for chatting with friends and family. It’s arguably the best team messaging app for voice chat. All of the basics are here for collaboration too.
It’s cross-platform software running on Linux and other operating systems. Discord is a success, in part, because it is platform agnostic.
|There are lots of other great free Android apps that meet our eligibility criteria. Read all about them.|
|For an Android app to be awarded our love, it must satisfy the following criteria:|
|High quality with a good set of features, stable in operation and mature software;|
|No charge to use the app;|
|No intrusive ads in the program;|
|Open source and proprietary software can be included;|
|Apps where additional functionality is available for a payment can be included where appropriate.|