yt is an open-source Python package for analyzing and visualizing volumetric data.
yt focuses on driving physically-meaningful inquiry. The toolkit has been applied in fields such as astrophysics, seismology, radio telescope data, nuclear engineering, molecular dynamics, and oceanography.
yt is written almost entirely in Python and it functions as a library that you can import into your Python scripts.
- Supports structured, variable-resolution meshes, unstructured meshes, and discrete or sampled data such as particles.
- Create visualizations of simulation data, derived fields, and the data produced by yt analysis objects.
- Overplotting Contours, Velocities, Particles.
- Provides a number of ways of getting the raw data that goes into a plot to you in the form of a one or two dimensional dataset that you can plot using any plotting method you prefer.
- Create 3D visualizations using a process known as volume rendering.
- Volume render unstructured mesh data like that created by finite element calculations.
- Hardware-accelerated interactive volume renderer. This interactive renderer is based on OpenGL and natively understands adaptive mesh refinement data; this enables (GPU) memory-efficient loading of data.
- Implementation of the Marching Cubes algorithm, which can operate on 3D data objects. Surfaces can be exported in OBJ format, values can be samples at the center of each face of the surface, and flux of a given field could be calculated over the surface.
- Mapserver – a Google-Maps-like interface to your data.
- Several colormaps are available including all of the matplotlib colormaps.
- Supports many different code formats including ART, ARTIO, Athena, Castro, Chombo, Enzo, FITS, FLASH, Gadget, GAMER, Gasoline, Gizmo, Grid Data Format, Maestro, MOAB, Nyx, openPMD, Orion, OWLS/EAGLE, Piernik, Pluto, RAMSES, Tipsy, and WarpX.
There’s an all-in-one installation script that downloads and builds a fully-isolated installation of Python that includes NumPy, Matplotlib, H5py, git, and yt.
Support: Documentation, Mailing List, GitHub
Developer: yt Development Team
License: Modified BSD License (also known as New or Revised BSD)
yt is written in Python. Learn Python with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Python Visualization Packages Home Page | Return to Python Data Analysis Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|