MKVToolNix is a set of open source tools for the Matroska media container format by Moritz Bunkus including mkvmerge.
With these tools one can get information about (mkvinfo) Matroska files, extract tracks/data from (mkvextract) Matroska files and create (mkvmerge) Matroska files from other media files.
Matroska is a multimedia file format aiming to become the new container format for the future.
- MKVToolnix GUI – a Qt GUI for mkvmerge and a successor of mmg.
- mkvmerge – merges multimedia streams into a Matroska file.
- mkvinfo – lists all elements contained in a Matroska file.
- mkvextract – extracts specific parts from a Matroska file to other formats. Extract audio, subtitle and video tracks, chapters, tags, CUE sheets, attachments and timecodes from Matroska files.
- mkvpropedit – analyze and modify some Matroska file properties. It outputs a list of tracks and provides information about the codecs used in them.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.