Sherpa is a modeling and fitting application for Python. It contains a powerful language for combining simple models into complex expressions that can be fit to the data using a variety of statistics and optimization methods.
Sherpa is easily extensible to include user models, statistics and optimization methods.
It was originally developed by the Chandra X-ray Center for use in analysing X-ray data (both spectral and imaging) from the Chandra X-ray telescope, but it’s designed to be a general-purpose package, which can be enhanced with domain-specific tasks (such as X-ray Astronomy).
Sherpa is compatible with Python versions 2.7, 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7.
- Model generic 1D/2D (N-D) data arrays.
- Fit 1D (multiple) data including: spectra, surface brightness profiles, light curves, arrays.
- Fit 2D images/surfaces in Poisson/Gaussian regime.
- Build complex model expressions.
- Import, define and use your own models.
- Simulate predicted data based on defined models.
- Use appropriate statistics for modeling Poisson or Gaussian data
- Use Classic Maximum Likelihood or Bayesian Framework.
- Import, define the new statistics, with priors if required by analysis.
- Visualize a parameter space with simulations or using 1D/2D cuts of the parameter space
- Calculate confidence levels on the best fit model parameters
- Use a robust optimization method for the fit: Levenberg-Marquardt, Nelder-Mead Simplex or Monte Carlo/Differential Evolution.
- Sherpa supports wcs, responses, psf, convolution.
- Use Sherpa as part of astropy.modeling with Sherpa Bridge to Astropy – SABA.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.