SchoolTool is an open source school management information system. It is a traditional web application, usable with a web browser. Development of the software was discontinued in 2016, although the source code is still available.
This application is used by schools for a single purpose, by individual teachers or small teams within schools, or as a whole-school comprehensive student information system, encompassing demographics, gradebooks, attendance, calendars and reporting.
SchoolTool is written in Python using the Zope 3 component architecture.
- Customizable demographics.
- Student contact management.
- Calendars for the school, groups, and individuals:
- Person calendars are kept private.
- ‘Overlay’ events from other calendars on to your personal calendar.
- Create single or repeating events.
- Resource booking – schedule shared resources via their calendar.
- Teacher gradebooks – create assignments (or ‘activities’) that are organized and may be weighted by category, such as ‘exam’ or ‘presentation’.
- Class attendance – a simple attendance and participation journal.
- Intervention system – to manage an ‘intervention’ meeting between a student and other stakeholders to address disciplinary, academic or other issues.
- Report card generation.
- Single-sign on.
- Variety of ways to import and export data.
Developer: The Shuttleworth Foundation
License: GNU GPL v2
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|