NodeBB is Node.js based forum software built for the modern web.
It uses web sockets for instant interactions and real-time notifications.
NodeBB has many modern features out of the box such as social network integration and streaming discussions, while still making sure to be compatible with older browsers.
- Modern Design – mobile-first and real-time interactions
- Real-time streaming with instant notifications, streaming posts, and real-time chats. NodeBB integrates real-time events in the background – your users are notified instantly when someone follows them, likes their post, or subscribes to their topics. Native multi-tasking support allows you to have streaming conversations with multiple people side-by-side.
- Social interactions – users earn reputation from others when posting helpful comments – gamifying and engaging your community.
- Social integration – share content with Facebook, Google, and Twitter.
- Cloud integrations – Slack, Pushbullet, Mailchimp, and more.
- Theming engine is very flexible.
- One-click install plugin and themes. NodeBB has over 300 plugins and themes to choose from.
- Advanced search – find the content you’re looking for with the help of several search filters designed to fine-tune your search results.
- Spam prevention – integrates with several spam prevention tools including Akismet, StopForumSpam, and Project Honeypot.
- Roles and Permission – create private or read-only categories with access control. Give users or groups special roles to view or moderate content.
- Tags – users can tag topics, adding an extra dimension beyond categorization and making it easy to find related content.
- SEO – enhance ranking with human-readable URls, semantic HTML with embedded microdata, and more.
- API – publically facing read-only API as well as a REST write API, making it easy to integrate with your software.
- Powerful and intuitive admin panel.
- Analytics dashboard.
- Drag-and-drop widgets.
- Internationalization support – over 50 languages actively translated.
NodeBB requires the following software to be installed:
- A version of Node.js at least 10 or greater (installation/upgrade instructions).
- Redis, version 2.8.9 or higher or MongoDB, version 2.6 or higher.
- nginx, version 1.3.13 or higher (only if intending to use nginx to proxy requests to a NodeBB).
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|