Bforartists is a complete 3D suite to create 3D content. It offers you the full 3D art pipeline to create game graphics, prerendered movies and stills. From modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging, animation, rendering, up to post processing.
Bforartists stands for Be For Artists.
Bforartists is a fork of the popular open source 3d software Blender with the goal to change the UI.
- Rendering – contains an old renderer called Blender Internal. And a newer one called Cycles.The built-in Cycles rendering engine offers GPU & CPU rendering, a Realtime viewport preview, HDR lighting support, and many more features.
- Modeling – offers a wide range of tools for polygon modeling. Many tools supports Ngons. And there is also Python scripting, with which you can perform and automate more than one modeling task.
- Materials – define the surface of your 3D models. The BIender Internal renderer offers an traditional material approach. Cycles offers a node based workflow with all the needed features of a modern renderer. It uses its own shader language called Open Shading Language, short OSL.
- Rigging – the process to connect your Mesh with the bones system. Bforartists offers Envelope, skeleton and automatic skinning, weight painting, mirror functionality, bone layers and colored groups for organization and B-spline interpolated bones.
- Animation – offers automated walk-cycles along paths, a character animation pose editor, non Linear Animation (NLA) for independent movements, K forward/inverse kinematics for fast poses and Sound synchronization.
- Sculpting – includes 20 different brush types, multi-res sculpting support, dynamic Topology sculpting, and mirrored sculpting.
- UV Mapping – offers various mapping methods. Fast Cube, Cylinder, Sphere and Camera projections are the traditional UV mapping methods. Conformal and Angle Based unwrapping (with edge seams and vertex pinning) is what is best known as unwrapping. And projects your mesh automatically onto your UV space. Bforartists also offers multiple UV layers and UV layout image exporting.
- Compositor – built in compositor. The compositor comes with a library of nodes for creating camera fx, color grading, vignettes and much more, supports Render-layers and Full compositing with images and video files. It’s multithreaded. And gives you the ability to render to multilayer Open Exr files.
- Simulations – offers a range of simulation tools too. The range goes from Fluid, Smoke, Hair, Cloth, Particles up to full Rigid Body physics.
- Camera and object tracking – mix real movie content with CG created content. There’s production ready camera and object tracking. The Camera and Object Tracker includes: automatic and manual tracking, camera reconstruction, real-time preview of your tracked footage and 3d scene, and supports Planar tracking and Tripod solvers.
- Extensions – use the full range of Blender addons.
- File formats – various import and export formats to support a pipeline to many different programs. The range goes across the common 2D file formats like Jpg, PNG, OpenEXR, or Tiff, and various 3D file formats like Obj, X, FBX or Collada.
- Scripting – Python support.
- Interface – new UI concept. It’s highly customizable, and offers an easy to access and to use graphical UI.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.