WIKINDX is an open source, single or multi-user bibliographic and quotations/notes management and article authoring system.
It features searchable references, notes and citations and integrated with a WYSIWYG word processor to author publication-ready articles automatically formatted to chosen citation styles.
Wikindx is categorised as reference management software, but also enables users to write notes and entire papers.
- Manage bibliographic data allowing users to search with speed and accuracy.
- Store unlimited quotes, paraphrases and thoughts and to cross-reference them in a searchable database.
- Allows multiple attachments for each bibliographic resource.
- View and export in seven bibliographic styles: Chicago, MLA, APA and Harvard, Turabian, British Medical Journal and IEEE.
- Edit or create bibliographic styles using an intuitive graphical user interface.
- Integrates a WYSIWYG word processor with easy importation of quotes etc. so that users can write an article, from draft through to publication with automatic citation formatting, entirely in a single application.
- Reformat Wikindx-created articles to another citation style whether that style uses footnotes, endnotes or in-text citation.
- Import and export other bibliographic formats including BibTeX, Reference Manager, ProCite and EndNote (tabbed textfile and XML file) format.
- 39 resource types.
- Multi-user mode – create and manage your own bibliographies drawn from the WIKINDX master bibliography and browse other users’ bibliographies.
- Create user groups and user group bibliographies.
- Enter/edit bibliographic resources.
- Add unlimited file attachments to each resource.
- Catalogue resources by categories and keyword(s).
- Enter/edit a general note about the whole resource.
- Enter/edit quotes and paraphrases from those resources.
- Enter/edit thoughts or musings on various aspects of a resource (can be private or public).
- Add keywords to resource metadata such as quotes, paraphrases and musings.
- Use BBCode in all textarea input.
- Cross-reference other WIKINDX resources from within quotes, paraphrases, musings, notes and abstracts.
- Edit keywords, creators, publishers and journals.
- Comprehensive search across all the above with highlighting of search terms using either Quick Search or Power Search.
- Reorder bibliographic lists by first creator, title, resource type, publisher, year of publication or timestamp.
- Select resources by category, keywords, creator, publisher etc.
- Browse all creators, publishers, collections, categories and keywords with font colour and size indicating frequency of occurrence.
- Unlimited primary creators, editors, translators and revisers, composers, agents, performers etc.
- Export bibliographic lists (optionally annotated) with a range of formatting options to Rich Text Format (RTF) files for easy insert into word processors.
- Cut ‘n’ Paste BibTeX entries to the database.
- User-defined paging of long bibliographic lists.
- View all quotes, paraphrases and musings or a single random one.
- One-click return to last bibliographic list or single view.
- Store up to 20 bookmarks for quick return to single views and resource lists
- Add resources to a temporary basket for viewing and exporting.
- Select a visual style.
- Insert WIKINDX references in a Content Management System.
- Import WIKINDX resources into Zotero.
- Extended with plug-ins including PubMed and Amazon Import plug-ins.
- Supports non-English multi-byte character sets.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.