Virtual Moon Atlas is open source software that allows users to observe and study the moon and its surface. It can visualize the Moon aspect for every date and hour and pilot computerized telescopes on the Moon surface.
Virtual Moon Atlas displays a 3D lunar globe which can be magnified, rotated, and navigated. On its left panel, the program provides us with a thorough study of the lunar surface with an amazing level of detail, which includes its dimension, position, its craters and formations.
This software is used in the Chandrayaan 1 lunar mission preparation, books, magazines, observatories, universities and web sites.
- Study lunar formations with unique database of more than 9,000 entries and more than 7,000 pictures library.
- Uses Open GL with real 3D lunar globe, Phases and librations display, Goto mounts driving.
- Phases and librations display.
- Double windows display.
- Airbrush with and without albedo” textures” and “Clementine” photographic texture with 1,000 m resolution.
- Multi windows and scientific overlays use.
- Atlun – the mapping module.
- Datlun – a database manager with powerful sort functions.
- Photlun – a pictures library management module.
- Very high resolution textures.
- 39 scientific overlays.
- Interfaced with SkyChart.
- Internationalization support – Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Slovak, and Spanish.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.