Piano Booster is open source piano teaching MIDI software that displays the musical notes and teaches you how to play the piano. It also provides piano lessons for beginners as well as for advanced players. It can be used for teaching music theory and is useful for piano practice and learning piano technique.
PianoBooster is a fun way of playing along with a musical accompaniment and at the same time learning the basics of reading musical notation. It takes elements of the game Guitar Hero to make musical learning enjoyable.
PianoBooster has been designed to allow you to play along on a midi piano keyboard with the scrolling notes shown on the screen. The notes you press on the keyboard appear as coloured lines on the musical stave, the colour of which depends whether you have pressed the right or wrong note.
A different musical instrument sound is used for your playing depending whether you are playing the right or wrong notes. This feature also allows PianoBooster to be used with printed sheet music so you can hear if you are playing the right notes while at the same time keeping your eyes on the printed score. The music accompaniment will automatically wait for you to find and play the correct notes in the piece.
To run Piano Booster you will need some MIDI files preferably with right and left piano parts on channels 4 and 3.
- Follows your playing when playing along to a musical MIDI accompaniment.
- Play a single hand and Piano Booster will play the other hand in time with you (and will also play the violins, the bass, the drums etc. in time with you).
- Change the speed of playback to match your playing ability.
- Transpose +/- 12 semitones without stopping the play back.
- Change the Key Signature of the piece.
- Plays any standard midi or kar file.
- Play along to any instrument in the midi file.
- Adjust the volume of the current part or the volume your piano part.
- See the accuracy of you playing.
- Change the start bar to start playing from any bar in the music. The repeat bars allows you to practice just a few difficult bars continuously.
- Timing markers are white crosses that are drawn over each note and show if you are playing ahead or behind the beat.
- A different instrument sound is used for the right and wrong notes that you play.
Developer: L.J. Barman
License: GNU GPL v3
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|