Drupal is a free and open-source platform and content management system written in PHP for building dynamic web sites offering a broad range of features and services including user administration, publishing workflow, discussion capabilities, news aggregation, metadata functionalities using controlled vocabularies and XML publishing for content sharing purposes.
Equipped with a powerful blend of features and configurability, Drupal can support a diverse range of web projects ranging from personal weblogs to large community-driven sites.
The software is released under an open source license.
- Polls – enables admins and/or users to create polls and show them on various pages.
- Templating – separates content from presentation allowing you to control the look and feel of your Drupal site.
- Threaded comments which provides a powerful threaded comment model for enabling discussion on published content.
- Version control – tracks the details of content updates including who changed it, what was changed, the date and time of changes made to your content and more.
- Access statistics and logging.
- Advanced search functions.
- Caching and feature throttling for improved performance under load.
- Comments, forums, and polls
- Descriptive URLs – uses Apache’s mod_rewrite to enable custo.mizable URLs that are both user and search engine friendly.
- Multi-level menu system.
- Multi-site support.
- Multi-user content creation and editing.
- OpenID support.
- RSS Feed and Feed Aggregator.
- Security/new release update notification.
- User authentication.
- User profiles.
- Various access control restrictions (user roles, IP addresses, email).
- Workflow tools (Triggers and Actions).
- Online help.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.