Mednafen is a portable, utilizing OpenGL and SDL, argument (command-line)-driven multi-system emulator with many advanced features.
- Atari Lynx.
- Neo Geo Pocket (Color).
- GameBoy (Color).
- GameBoy Advance.
- Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom.
- Virtual Boy.
- PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 (CD).
- Sega Game Gear.
- Sega Genesis/Megadrive.
- Sega Master System.
- Sega Saturn (experimental, x86_64 only).
- Sony PlayStation.
Save states are supported, as is real-time game rewinding. Screen snapshots may be taken at the press of a button, and are saved in the popular PNG file format.
Due to the threaded model of emulation used in Mednafen, and limitations of SDL, a joystick is preferred over a keyboard to play games, as the joystick will have slightly less latency, although the latency differences may not be perceptible to most people.
- Double-buffered video, enabled by default.
- Multi-threaded video blitting, allowing for a kind of software triple-buffering, and improving performance on SMP systems.
- Joystick support.
- Extremely versatile input configuration system; assign multiple physical buttons to a virtual button or action.
- Full-screen modes.
- Save states.
- Real-time game rewinding, up to 10 seconds.
- Remap hotkey functions and virtual system inputs to a keyboard, a joystick, or both simultaneously.
- Screen snapshots, saved in PNG format.
- Loading games from gzip and (pk)zip compressed archives.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Supplied with our legendary ratings charts.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software.|
|Alternatives to Google's Products and Services examines your options to migrate from the Google ecosystem with open source Linux alternatives.|
|Alternatives to Microsoft's Products and Services recommends open source Linux software.|
|Alternatives to Adobe Cloud is a new series looking at free and open source alternatives to products available from Adobe Cloud's subscription service.|
|Essential Linux system tools looks at small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy opens up to the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun!|
|Best Free Android Apps. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to the free programming books series|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA|