get_iplayer lists, searches and downloads BBC iPlayer TV/Radio, BBC Podcast, ITVplayer TV programmes, and Hulu.com TV.
get_iplayer is a Perl script which has three modes: downloading a complete programme for later playback; streaming a programme directly to a playback application, such as MPlayer; and as a Personal Video Recorder (PVR), subscribing to search terms and downloading programmes automatically.
If given no arguments get_iplayer updates and displays the list of currently available BBC TV programmes.
Each available programme has a numerical identifier, pid. get_iplayer downloads BBC iPlayer programmes by pretending to be an iPhone, which means that some programmes in the list are unavailable for download.
In PVR mode, get_iplayer can be called from cron to download programmes to a schedule.
- Search, index and download/stream:
- BBC iPlayer TV – H.264/Quicktime/mov and Flash/AVI.
- BBC iPlayer Radio (Local and National) – 192 kb/s MP3 and Realaudio.
- BBC Podcasts – 192 kb/s MP3 or AAC.
- BBC iPlayer TV subtitles – SubRip/srt.
- ITV player Catch-up or classic TV – WMV/ASF.
- Hulu.com TV – MP4.
- Hulu.com Closed-captions/subtitles – SubRip/srtUses rtmpdump to download high quality Flash download versions for TV and radio.
- Stream a programme in MPlayer or xine, either downloading or not downloading it to disk.
- Download subtitles.
- PVR capabilities.
Developer: Phil Lewis
License: GNU GPL v3
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|