get_iplayer lists, searches and downloads BBC iPlayer TV/Radio, BBC Podcast, ITVplayer TV programmes, and Hulu.com TV.
get_iplayer is a Perl script which has three modes: downloading a complete programme for later playback; streaming a programme directly to a playback application, such as MPlayer; and as a Personal Video Recorder (PVR), subscribing to search terms and downloading programmes automatically.
If given no arguments get_iplayer updates and displays the list of currently available BBC TV programmes.
Each available programme has a numerical identifier, pid. get_iplayer downloads BBC iPlayer programmes by pretending to be an iPhone, which means that some programmes in the list are unavailable for download.
In PVR mode, get_iplayer can be called from cron to download programmes to a schedule.
- Search, index and download/stream:
- BBC iPlayer TV – H.264/Quicktime/mov and Flash/AVI.
- BBC iPlayer Radio (Local and National) – 192 kb/s MP3 and Realaudio.
- BBC Podcasts – 192 kb/s MP3 or AAC.
- BBC iPlayer TV subtitles – SubRip/srt.
- ITV player Catch-up or classic TV – WMV/ASF.
- Hulu.com TV – MP4.
- Hulu.com Closed-captions/subtitles – SubRip/srtUses rtmpdump to download high quality Flash download versions for TV and radio.
- Stream a programme in MPlayer or xine, either downloading or not downloading it to disk.
- Download subtitles.
- PVR capabilities.
Developer: Phil Lewis
License: GNU GPL v3
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.