General Architecture for Text Engineering (GATE) is an open source full-lifecycle solution for a broad range of Natural Language Processing tasks. GATE excels at text analysis of all shapes and sizes.
A family of Processing Resources for language analysis is included in the shape of ANNIE, A Nearly-New Information Extraction system.
GATE includes resources for common LE data structures and algorithms, including documents, corpora and various annotation types, a set of language analysis components for Information Extraction and a range of data visualisation and editing components. It is a set of modules comprising a tokenizer, a gazetteer, a sentence splitter, a part of speech tagger, a named entities transducer and a coreference tagger. ANNIE can be used as-is to provide basic information extraction functionality, or provide a starting point for more specific tasks.
GATE is a mature solution having been in development for more than 15 years.
- GATE Developer – an integrated development environment for language processing components bundled with a very widely used Information Extraction system and a comprehensive set of other plugins. GATE Developer is analogous to systems like Mathematica for Mathematicians, or JBuilder for Java programmers: it provides a convenient graphical environment for research and development of language processing software. As well as being a powerful research tool in its own right, it is also very useful in conjunction with GATE Embedded.
- GATE Teamware – a collaborative annotation environment for factory-style semantic annotation projects built around a workflow engine and a heavily-optimised backend service infrastructure.
- GATE Embedded – an object library optimised for inclusion in diverse applications giving access to all the services used by GATE Developer and more an architecture: a high-level organisational picture of how language processing software composition.
- JAPE, a Java Annotation Patterns Engine, provides regular-expression based pattern/action rules over annotations.
- GUK, the GATE Unicode Kit, ﬁlls in some of the gaps in the JDK’s support for Unicode.
- Supports documents in a variety of formats including XML, RTF, email, HTML, PDF, SGML, Java Serial, PostgreSQL, Lucene, Oracle Databases with help of RDBMS storage over JDBC, and plain text.
- Internationalization support: English, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Bulgarian, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Cebuano, Romanian, and Russian.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.