ejabberd is a distributed, fault-tolerant technology that allows the creation of large-scale instant messaging applications.
The server can reliably support thousands of simultaneous users on a single node and has been designed to provide exceptional standards of fault tolerance.
ejabberd is free and open source software.
- Distributed – un ejabberd on a cluster of machines and all of them will serve the same XMPP domain(s).
- Fault-tolerant – deploy an ejabberd cluster so that all the information required for a properly working service will be replicated permanently on all nodes. This means that if one of the nodes crashes, the others will continue working without disruption. In addition, nodes also can be added or replaced ‘on the fly’.
- Modularity – load only the modules you want.
- SASL and STARTTLS for c2s and s2s connections.
- STARTTLS and Dialback s2s connections.
- Web Admin accessible via HTTPS secure access.
- Internal database for fast deployment (Mnesia).
- Native MySQL support.
- Native PostgreSQL support.
- ODBC data storage support.
- Microsoft SQL Server support.
- Internal authentication.
- PAM, LDAP and ODBC.
- External authentication script.
- Support for virtual hosting.
- Compressing XML streams with Stream Compression (XEP-0138).
- Statistics via Statistics Gathering (XEP-0039).
- IPv6 support both for c2s and s2s connections.
- Multi-User Chat module with support for clustering and HTML logging.
- Users Directory based on users vCards.
- Publish-Subscribe component with support for Personal Eventing.
- Support for web clients: HTTP Polling and HTTP Binding (BOSH).
- Component support: interface with networks such as AIM, ICQ and MSN.
- Comprehensive documentation.
- Straightforward installers for Linux.
- Docker packaging to help with deploy / development on Linux, Windows or MacOS.
- Deb and RPM packaging to support most Linux distributions.
- Web administration.
- Shared roster groups.
- Command line administration tool.
- Can integrate with existing authentication mechanisms.
- Capability to send announce messages.
- Internationalization support – translated to 25 languages.
- Cross-platform support – runs under Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|