Double Commander is an open source cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. This file manager is inspired by Total Commander (a shareware file manager for Windows) and features some new ideas.
Double Commander can be run on several platforms and operating systems including Linux and Windows. It supports 32-bit and 64-bit processors. Double Commander is written in Free Pascal/Lazarus.
The goal of Double Commander is to create a program close to Total Commander in operation and with maximum compatibility via the plugins and configuration files. However, Double Commander has some important advantages: it’s free to use, works with different operating systems, and is open source.
- All operations work in the background with threading operations support.
- Tabbed panels interface with full drag & drop support.
- Custom toolbar with buttons to launch external programs or internal menu commands.
- Copy/Move files and folders via clipboard.
- File colouring by search templates.
- Custom columns.
- Built in file viewer (F3) to view files in hex, binary or text format, views GIFs.
- Internal text editor (F4) with syntax highlighting.
- Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ, LZMA and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR
- Test archives command – calculate/verify checksum.
- Extended search function with full text search in any files.
- Quick filter.
- Natural sorting mode.
- Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands.
- Supports WCX, WLX, WDX and WFX plugins from Total Commander (also supports own DSX plugin format).
- FTP support (via standard plugin).
- Network support (Windows built-in, Linux via standard plugin).
- Compare by Contents shows a window with two panels with the files to compare (usually text).
- File operations logging.
- File operations queue.
- Auto update mount disk list.
- Embedded console.
- Multi-rename tool which allows renaming any files by defined mask.
- Unicode support.
- Highly customizable.
Developer: Alexander Koblov, Przemyslaw Nagay and many contributors
License: GNU GPL v2
Double Commander is written in Object Pascal. Learn Pascal with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
Return to Orthodox File Managers Home Page
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|