MailScanner is a freely distributable E-Mail gateway virus scanner and spam detector. It uses sendmail or Exim as its basis, and a choice of 17 commercial virus scanning engines to do the actual virus scanning.
It can decode and scan attachments intended solely for Microsoft Outlook users (MS-TNEF). If possible, it will disinfect infected documents and deliver them automatically. It also has features which protect it against Denial Of Service attacks.
MailScanner is highly configurable using a very easy-to-use system of rulesets. Virtually every configuration option can, for example, be controlled on a per-user, per-domain or per-IP basis.
MailScanner is extremely easy to integrate into your existing mail transport system, requiring no modification of existing sendmail configurations. Other MTAs require only minor modifications to configuration files, and these are all well documented both online and in the MailScanner book, available direct from the MailScanner web site.
Worldwide, the author estimates the software is processing over 1 billion e-mails every day, with over 1 million downloads.
- Supports all major servers including sendmail, postfix, qmail and others.
- No rework of your mail system configuration required to use or remove MailScanner.
- Protects the enterprise against virus, trojan and ‘phishing’ attacks from outside and inside the corporate network.
- Manage using multiple whitelists, blacklists and customized rules.
- Quarantine suspicious mail.
- Content and attachment filtering – highly configurable.
- Many spam detection techniques used including blacklists, heuristic rules, Bayesian statistics, SpamAssassin and global spam detectors such as DCC, Razor and Pyzor.
- Protects against the most common known and future attacks exploiting vulnerabilities in users’ email applications.
- Eliminates spam using a wide range of techniques, defeating attempts to circumvent individual spam detection systems.
- Screens out pornography and other malware attacks.
- Professional installation and support contracts available.
- Used by US Navy, US Army, UCLA, Harvard, MIT, Siemens, HP and tens of thousands of other sites.
- Highly scalable, one corporate site filters 11 million messages per day on one server, another has over 100 MailScanner servers operating as a cluster.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|