Knoppix is a bootable CD with a collection of open source Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals.
This Linux distribution is primarily designed to be used as a Live CD, but it can also be installed on to a hard disk or solid state drive.
Knoppix is particularly noteworthy for its collection of utilities for system repair and troubleshooting. It can help recover files that are preventing the installed operating system from booting, and restore the master boot record. It can also remove corrupted and infected files, as well as partitioning and reformatting connected drives. Other rescue functions that can be performed with Knoppix are to clone drives, conduct a security audiot, fix Windows boot.ini file, and more. A strong point of Knoppix is its diverse support of different hardware, and both command-line and graphical user interface tools to perform rescue operations.
Knoppix was one of the first Live CDs available. It has inspired many derivatives.
- Uses kernel 3.6.11 and X.Org 7.7 (core 1.12.4) for supporting current computer hardware.
- LXDE with filemanager PCMANFM or KDE, as the available desktop environments.
- MPlayer, with MP3 audio, and Ogg Vorbis audio playback support.
- Internet access software, including the KPPP dialer and ISDN utilities.
- The Iceweasel web browser (based on Mozilla Firefox), and Chromium.
- The Icedove e-mail client (based on Mozilla Thunderbird).
- GIMP, an image manipulation program.
- Tools for data rescue and system repair, even for other operating systems.
- Network analysis and administration tools.
- LibreOffice, a comprehensive office suite.
- Terminal server.
- EBook Speaker, an accessible ebook reader.
- Wine version 1.5 for integration of Windows based programs.
- Network and security analysis tools for network administrators.
- Many programming languages, development tools (including kdevelop) and libraries for developers.
- More than 1000 installed software packages with over 2000 executable user programs, utilities, and games.
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|